Programs for the academically talented are available for students at Desert Shadows. Students that are selected based on the results of placement tests will be pulled from regular classrooms at appropriate times to receive specialized instruction in reading, math and non-verbal reasoning.
Our gifted program targets the following academic objectives:
- Promote critical thinking and reasoning abilities
- Develop and expand thinking skills
- Utilize differentiated strategies for learning
- Build / extend cognitive language skills
- Facilitate opportunities for learning
The academic caliber of the majority of students at Desert Shadows is very high. This indicates that the community consists of committed parents who provide a rich home environment for their children. We attempt to set proportionally high classroom standards, and we reevaluate them on a regular basis. Each student is consistently challenged to achieve at a level appropriate for his/her level of ability.